Thursday was our 2nd PCIT (parent child interaction therapy) with Elijah....well, actually it was WITHOUT Elijah, it was a "parent training." Basically, I have to work with him 5 minutes a day, and during these 5 minutes he completely leads. Here is how it works: I tell him we are beginning our "special" time. I have a few things on the table that I have already set out that DON'T limit play and creativity (no puzzles, games w/ rules, etc) and I tell him he picks what he wants to play. I then follow his lead.
The first 6 weeks of therapy is child directed interaction. I am to work on just following his lead, not leading myself. That means AVOID commands, questions and critical statements during this 5 minutes (unless he is hitting, etc. then we immediately end "special" time). Instead I focus on P.R.I.D.E. (praise, reflect, imitate, describe, and enthusiastic).
I am to praise appropriate behavior very specifically, not just "you did a good job", but, "you did a really good job staying in the lines on that picture." I am to reflect appropriate talk, like if he says, "look mom, I drew a tree", then I would say, "yes, honey, you drew a green tree." I am also to imitate appropriate play. If he is coloring in the lines on a picture then I may say, "ooh, I like how you are staying in the lines, I am going to color like that too." and then I color my picture the same. I am also to describe appropriate behaviors, like if he is building a high tower w/ Lego's I may say, "You are building a SKYSCRAPER, a really tall tower!" And last, but not least, to be enthusiastic, letting him know I am enjoying our time together.
I am also doing this with Dacia and Lydia as well. We have only done 1 session, yesterday. These are homework assignments. I work on a particular skill until it becomes "natural" during play time. At the place they watch us in a one way mirror, and I have a bug in my ear and they direct me on what to say and do. I am really looking forward to becoming more positive and finding better ways to deal with Elijah's behavioral problems.
If you have any questions about anything let me know and I will try my best to answer! I'll let you know how it goes!
God Bless,
The Sooner Seven :)
www.thesooner7.blogspot.com
(feel free to click on the link and leave a comment)
annie kate
8 years ago



0 Comments:
Post a Comment