Friday, July 10, 2009

"Don't Make Me Pull a Police Man Over!"

Police Car Pictures, Images and Photos

Tonight I wanted to share a few short stories of things that happened while my husband and older two children were at camp.

The background of the first story is this:
I let Lydia sit in the middle row of seats in Dacia's car seat while she was away. This is a booster, and Lydia figured out how to get out. Her and Elijah both had been in and out of the car seats the day before.

Well, Elijah had unbuckled and I told him he better buckle before I pull a police man over (which I have done before, btw). He buckled immediately, but then Lydia unbuckled. I repeated it, she did not comply, so I pulled off to the side of the highway to buckle her back in.

While buckling her I told her she had to stay buckled to be safe, and mommy did not want her to get hurt in a wreck or a police man to be worried for her and pull us over. I explained to both of them if mommy can't keep them safe, then the police man will.

Well, perfect timing, here came the lights. YES! I was sooooooo happy this nice police man stopped to check on us. I told him what was going on, and he went back about his business.

You should have seen the kids faces! Elijah looked like he had seen a ghost, and now both children believe me when I say a police man will pull us over to make sure they are safe if they are not in their car seats!


Background for the second story:
Every Thursday we pack a lunch and take it with us on our outing. We always go to the car wash and they have a picnic while I vacuum out the car. Well, as I said before, the older kiddos were at camp, so they were not there. Since Lydia was in Dacia's seat she could unbuckle herself. I got Elijah settled, and here came Lydia. I shut the door and set up their picnic. So, like the usual right? WRONG!

I go and start the vacuum and open my door, but it will not open. ALL OF THE DOORS WERE LOCKED! This is not even the worst part, the baby is inside and it is like 105 degrees outside! Luckily, my car was running, like usual when I vacuum out the car with the baby inside. It is to hot to not have the air on for 20 minutes.

So bad news, keys locked in car, baby in car...good news, air conditioning is on.

Well, I needed to call my insurance company, buy my phone was in the car. I peeked in the window to check on the baby and she sees me and starts crying. I felt so bad. I borrowed a ladies cell phone and told my insurance company the situation and to please send someone out fast. They said someone would be out within 2o minutes, but the phone call itself took like 15. I am thinking, it took about 5 minutes from the time I shut the door until I made the call, another 15 on the phone, and then another 20 til they come?!?

I was concerned that the air would stop being cool, so I kept balancing b/w watching the 3 and 4 year old outside and the baby, who kept screaming, inside. I tried to be sneaky when checking her, since she cried harder when she saw me, but it did not work. No matter which side I peeked at her from, she saw me! The good thing was she never got hot.

So, a lady next to me asks, "Are you locked in your car? Is there a baby in there?" I think she was about to tear into me until I assured her the air is on, and if she was to show any signs of getting hot, I would either call the police out or break a window myself to get her out. I would rather pay for a window any day than let any of my children sit in a hot car like that. She seemed a lot friendlier after chatting a minute, I would have been concerned too if I had overheard someone say they locked their keys in the car on a 100+ degree day with baby in it!

After about 20 minutes the guy came, opened it with a wedge and a bank envelope! WHAT! I could have done that! lol. The baby is screaming, still, so I get her out. We are all hot and sweaty (me, the locksmith, and the 2 older ones) and the baby is cold! She had the better end of the deal! lol Anyway, I hugged her, loved her, and of course had to nurse her before continuing my routine of cleaning out my car!

Needless to say, it was an exciting week. However, this kind of excitement I could live without! I just thank God, literally, for watching over us. We could have been in a wreck when we had our seat belt battles, or my car could have been turned off and I would have had to broken a window to get the baby out, potentially hurting myself or the baby. God is watching over us.


God Bless,
The Sooner Seven :)
www.thesooner7.blogspot.com
www.getmotiv8d.blogspot.com
(feel free to click on the link and leave a comment)

0 Comments: