Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sensory Processing Disorder

I am soooo frustrated. Elijah has severe sensory processing disorder. It has both physical and mental side effects. I remember once upon a time I thought things like this were just excuses, or the children just needed a good dose of discipline...but now I know better. I know he is different, extremely different.

He is on the verge of getting kicked out of his daycare. I have been looking for over a year for a place that helps kids like him. The only places I find say we make too much money, and have to wait until all the low income spots are full. Now, what is so frustrating, is that these facilities take both SPD and "normal" kids.

DHS can assist parents at almost any facility, but few facilities work with kids like Elijah...HOW CAN THEY TURN US DOWN B/C WE ARE WILLING TO PAY FROM OUR POCKETS! I am not anti dhs or help for families at all, As a matter of fact DHS assistance was "my friend" while going to college. We could not afford child care for our oldest son while going to school.

I just think that if someone has a child with special needs and most day cares are not equipped to handle that type of child, then you should be "upped" on the waiting list on the few that do!

There waiting list goes like this:
Low income children w/ special needs
low income chldren
over income children w/ special needs
over income children
I think it should be like this, since centers like this are rare:
Low income w/ special needs
over income special needs
low income children
over income children
It is almost like reversed discrimination, "sorry, we can't help you, you make too much $ and are willing to pay cash". Not to mention we are just a smidgen over income!

Even his therapists are like "WHAT!?" I am just at a loss as to what to do. I could quit my job and work with him, or quit so that he can get in a beneficial program...but that is crazy...Why is there not more facilities to help with children like this so they can prepare for school? Does anyone know something that I don't know?

Just as a note we already went through the process of the special pre-k at public schools, but he would have an IEP for the rest of his "school" life and many SPD's can be significantly improved by therapy. This would cause him to have an IEP for no reason.
Please pray for us and this situation, we would appreciate it. If you have anything to offer that might help, please leave a comment :)

God Bless,
The Sooner Seven
(feel free to click on the link and leave a comment)

0 Comments: